Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Pharmaceutical Industry do they really care
One of the most overlooked controversies in the world of pharmacy is definitely the reputation of the pharmaceutical industry. Personally I had very little opinion about the politics of industries of pharmacy and once or twice I’d hear some friend or family complain about the prices of medication being directly related to the industry. I hold the pharmacy industry very high in my sight because the benefits outweigh the differences and negativity. 
In the classes that I have taken in pharmacy school over the years, I have learnt ways in which the pharmacy industry advertises the drug to the doctors and the consumers. Sometimes, it would benefit the patient but most other times, the health and well being of the patient is the last thing on the list of the pharmaceutical industry. I learnt that many times the doctor gets involved with the representatives of the pharmacy industry and from then on out, things take a turn! The doctor gets paid for prescribing a certain drug to their patients, gets extra benefits from that company and gets rewards. It is hard to imagine that me or my family have been prescribed drugs that benefited the doctor more than they did to me. It is the simple greed of the pharmacy industry that I noticed and even though not all doctors engage in such activities, I keep imagining patients that don’t get well under the care of the doctors because of how the drugs are sold.
One of the most inspiring and useful program from the pharmacy industry is the research of medications. This is an extremely important step in ensuring the safety of a certain drug and its benefits are tested to aware the public and physicians about the drug safety and efficacy. Recently, I found that some research in the pharmacy industry is also biased. Drugs that are sold more and have high income  attached to it, are studied more than the drugs that fail to make as much money. Keeping in mind that research is the door that leads to discovery of better, more sophisticated drugs.
Finally, even though some of the people associated with pharmacy may seem to be corrupt and sometimes we associate mistrust; it is important to remember the advantages of this industry and the endless efforts some committed people make into conforming the industry into a more successful place. We can never replace the importance of drugs by anything else. Even though I won’t fully trust the pharmaceutical industry, I still like to believe that we shouldn’t expect it to be perfect, and to make the difference that we need to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment